To help fulfil its aims VALA grants the following awards:
- The Robert D. Williamson Award - Awarded biennially to an individual or organisation who, in the opinion of the judging panel, is currently making an outstanding contribution to the development of information technology usage in Australian libraries and is positively and significantly influencing development in information technology usage within libraries.
- The VALA Award - made biennially, is presented to the Australian library or information centre judged to have made the most innovative use of information technology during the previous two years.
- From 2017 a new award will replace the VALA Travel Scholarship. VALA Travel Scholarships have been awarded every two years for individuals to undertake international travel to explore developments in the application of information technology in libraries and information services.
- The VALA Student Awards - Each year, the VALA Student Award is presented to one student from RMIT University and one from Monash University, in recognition of outstanding achievement in postgraduate library and information management courses.
Award Winners 2015
The 2015 Student Award winners are:
- Karen Seligman from RMIT University
- Viviane Hessami from Monash University